Most computer users know what Photoshop can do. It’s the most powerful and widely used photo editing software by Adobe. I use Photoshop all the time for photo editing requirements. But if you don’t have Photoshop installed on your computer or If you are not familiar with any photo editing software but still want to edit your photos, you can use Microsoft Word. Yes, you read it right. Microsoft Word contains a few but effective photo editing tools for users. If you ask i.e. How to edit pictures in Microsoft Word? Then welcome to my today’s Blog.
In this Blog, I am going to demonstrate most of the options which will show you how you can edit a photo or photos in Microsoft word conveniently.
Here I will answer most of your questions based on Microsoft word picture editing methods.
Note: For this tutorial, I will use Microsoft Word 2019 beta version. But you can use Microsoft word 2007, 2013 and 2016. All these have a very close option for image editing (Picture Editing Tool).
How to write on a picture in Microsoft Word?
You can write on any picture in Microsoft word. Please follow the steps below-
- After opening Microsoft Word Click on the tab “Insert” and this will reveal options for you. From here you need to click on the “Pictures” ribbon tab. A window will open where you need to select your desired image in the hard drive.
- There are two ways to write on a picture in Microsoft word. First, select the image and go to the “Layout” menu. Click “Wrap Text” and from below tree (or drop-down menu), select “Behind text”. Now you can write anything on the picture. Just place your cursor in the image where you want the text.
- The second way is to put a text block on the image. For this go to the “Insert” menu. Click on “Text box” under the “Text” ribbon tab. Select “Draw A Text Box” from the drop-down. You can write anything in the text box. The box will be white-colored fill by default. You can select no fill from the “Shape Format” tab, click on the “Shape Fill” and select “No Fill”. The text will be now on the photo directly without any fill.
How to erase part of a picture in Microsoft Word?
You can easily erase any part of a picture in word. Just select the picture. Then go to the “Format” menu > click the “Crop” icon under the text ribbon tab. Select “Crop” from the dropdown. Then fix your cropping area using the cropping parameter. You can also use “Crop to Shape” and “Aspect Ratio” as per your requirement.
How to remove background or delete part of a picture using Microsoft word?
I have already written another tutorial about it – “X-ray see-through effects using Microsoft Word“. However, here I will show you how you can remove the background or delete part of a picture. Just follow the steps –
- Insert your Image and click “Format” menu
- Click “Background remove” ribbon tab.
- Here you need to click the “Mark Areas to Keep” pen tool for which part of your image you want to keep and select the “Mark Areas to Remove” pen tool for which part of your image you don’t want. You can draw the area as to your requirements.
- After selection click “Keep Changes” and you will get your image ready.
Note: Microsoft word automatically detects what you select or not and do the editing as per your requirements.
How to color correct an image by Microsoft Word?
Color correcting an image in Microsoft word is very easy.
- Just select the image that you have inserted in the application.
- Then click the “Format” menu tab.
- There Click the “Corrections” icon from the “Adjust” section. You get the “Sharpen/Soften” and “Brightness/Contrast” preview model from the drop-down section. Here you can select any desired thumbnail and check the live preview of your color-corrected image.
- You can also color correct or change the color of your image by the “Color” icon from the “Adjust” section. From the drop-down options, you can choose 3 type color options like “Color Saturation” “Color Tone” and “Recolor”. Choose what type of color you required from those three dropdown sections.
How to put some effects on the image in Microsoft Word?
If you want to put some effects on the image then you need to follow below steps –
Just select your image and from the “Format” menu > Click on “Artistic Effects” > select your desired effects from the dropdown options.
Compress pictures in word
You can compress images in Microsoft Word. Just follow the steps-
- After selecting the image, go to the “Format” menu > click the “Compress Pictures” icon.
- You will get 5 options like HD (330 PPI), Print (220 PPI), Web (150 PPI), Email (96 PPI) and default.
- Select which version you need and click “OK”.
- Now you can save the compressed image by right click on the image and click “Save as picture”
Reset your image editing in word
Sometimes after image editing, you could change your mind and reset the image to the previous form. For this you need to select the image and go to the picture tool “Format” menu > Click “Reset Picture”. This will reset all the modification of your image.
And that’s it for today. You can also play with all the tools from the picture tool “Format” tab. If you have any question then feel free to ask in the comment section. We also have a dedicated question and answer community at your service.