Most computer users know about what Photoshop can do. It’s the most powerful and used photo editing software by Adobe. I use Photoshop all the time for photo editing requirements. But if you don’t have Photoshop installed on your computer or If you are not familiar with any photo editing software but still want to edit your photos, you can use Microsoft Word. Yes, you read it right. If you ask i.e. how to edit pictures in word? then you are in the right place.
In this mostly demonstration and tutorial I will show you how you can edit a photo or photos in Microsoft word.
Here I will answer most of your question based on Microsoft word picture editing methods.
Note: For this tutorial, I will use Microsoft Word 2019 beta version. But you can use Microsoft word 2007, 2013 and 2016. All these have a very close option for image editing (Picture Editing Tool).
How to write on a picture in word?
You can write on any picture in Microsoft word. Please follow below steps-
- After opening Microsoft Word Click “Insert” on Menu and this will reveal options for you. From here you need to Click “Pictures” ribbon tab. A dialog box will open where you need to select your desired image in the hard drive.
- There are two ways to write on a picture in Microsoft word. First, select the image and go to “Layout” menu. Click “Wrap Text” under Arrange and select “behind text” from the drop-down. Now you can write anything on the picture. Just place your cursor in the image where you want the text.
- The second way is to put a text block on the image. For this go to the “Insert” menu. Click on “Text box” under “Text” ribbon tab. Select “Draw A Text Box” from the drop-down. You can write anything on the text box.
How to erase part of a picture in Microsoft word?
You can easily erase any part of a picture in word. Just select the picture. Then go to “Format” menu > click “Crop” icon under text ribbon tab. Select “Crop” from drop down. Then fix your cropping area using the cropping parameter. You can also use “Crop to shape” and “Aspect Ratio” as per your requirement.
How to remove background or delete part of a picture using Microsoft word?
I was already written down a tutorial about it – X-ray see-through effects using Microsoft Word. Though here I will show you how you can remove background or delete part of a picture. Just follow the steps –
- Insert your Image and click “Format” menu
- Click “Background remove” ribbon tab.
- Here you need to click “Mark Areas to Keep” pen tool for which part of your image you want to keep and select “Mark Areas to Remove” pen tool for which part of your image you don’t want. You can draw the area as per your requirements.
- After selection click “Keep Changes” and you will get your image ready.
Note: Microsoft word automatically detects what you select or not and do the editing as per your requirements.
How to color correct an image by Microsoft Word?
Color correcting an image in Microsoft word is very easy.
- Just select the image that you have inserted in documents.
- Then click the “Format” menu tab.
- There Click “Corrections” icon from the “Adjust” section. You get “Sharpen/Soften” and “Brightness/Contrast” preview model from the drop-down section. Here you can select any desired thumbnail and check the live preview of your color corrected image.
- You can also color correct or change the color of your image by “Color” icon from the “Adjust” section. From the drop-down, you can choose 3 type color options like “Color Saturation” “Color Tone” and “Recolor”. Choose what type of color you required from those three dropdown sections.
How to put some effects on the image in word?
If you want to put some effects on the image then you need to follow below steps –
Just select your image and form the “Format” menu > Click on “Artistic Effects” > select your desired effects from the dropdown.
Compress pictures in word
You can compress images in Microsoft Word. Just follow the steps-
- After selecting the image go to “Format” menu > click “Compress Pictures” icon.
- You will get 5 options like HD (330 PPI), Print (220 PPI), Web (150 PPI), Email (96 PPI) and default.
- Select which version you need and click “OK”.
- Now you can save the compressed image by right click on the image and click “Save as picture”
Reset your image editing in word
Sometimes after image editing, you could change your mind and reset the image to the previous form. For this you need to select the image and go to picture tool “Format” menu > Click “Reset Picture”. This will reset all the modification of your image.
And that’s it for today. You can also play with all the tool from picture tool “Format” tab. If you have any question then feel free to ask on the comment section. We also have a dedicated question and answer community at your service.